Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"And if you say the word, you could stay with me"

Para Mariel 


We came to Houston as survivors of  a shipwreckedge. Because thats what we were.  To this date I dont  know if  I let go the wheel, if  I betrayed my captain, if I provoked a mutiny or if I had not been able to figure it out the map trusted upon me, but  we were there  and I had my second and third on board standing solidly by my side.

I dont know how we did it but when I see the way we were those days I realize how young naive nd hurt the three of us were.

Since Nandy my niece was supportingly caring for us there, being Houston her other homeland, she, wanted to take us to meet Macarita, her friend
And what a fine lady Macarita was! , so sweet, so nice making us feel home when our home had just been finally pulled down after years and years of erosion.

-She served us pina colada and of course, after the first sip I got tipsy.

She would go to her bedroom and then came back to the living Then again to the bedroom, then again back to the living  and so on chitchatting while her husband yelled her name. Disease had taken her beloved away from her and his mind was lost among the turmoils of the unknown... Still, he remembered her name and more over  than that, what it had meant for him for the last fifteen years

They married late, both for the second time,  and before really getting old  he began to forget so much little by little
But his  lady would flutter around ftrying to find joy everywhere although one of her wings was broken

While  listening to her stories, I took a teddy bear that was sitting in a table near by. And then this Beetles song I never heard began to melt my strength
"Will you still need me, will you still feed me when im sixty four?"

Macarita explained that Dave gave it to her  and although I never met him, this image of this  sweet -romantic- white hair- young at heart boy giving his evermore bride a song for life wrapped in cotton stayed in my heart...
But seeing then the somewhat cruelty of life and being hurt and having hurt so badly I couldnt hold it
I cried there as if I were dying mourning the love I never had and probably never would

The girls looked at me trying to be brave themselves and Macarita and Nandy fussed around trying to cheer me up. Things would be fine.

Eight years have passed since that sunny afternoon in July

David is gone since long. His fine lady still flutters around wearing flowerly hats nd a smile in her face.   I saw her two months ago and she was walking radiantly as someone who caries the sweet  memory of having loved and having been loved would,  for she indeed loved him far beyond sixty-four and he indeed mended emptiness to soothe  her path.

And after eight years that have had infinite dark nights, it seems to me that I still havent found that someone who would really realized he care enough to trust second chances and who would love me enough to let me try to prove " I would still need him when his sixty four"

I like to play the song from time to time just to remind me that somewhere out there someone still would might sing to me  " and if you say the word, you could stay with me..."

1 comment:

Polvo de Cometa said...

No puedo creer que hace no tanto tiempo, todavia podia creer esto.